Friday, October 24, 2008

Street Meat Wars

If you’ve ever walked around Midtown Manhattan, you’ve undoubtedly noticed the dozens of food carts littering the ever-crowded street corners. You can always pick out the good ones as the ones with lines down the block.

Some of my first visits to the city as a young girl are filled with memories of eating hot dogs on the street. I think that’s still the image my younger brother delights in when he thinks of the Big Apple. I can’t say that I’ve actually tried a hot dog on the street since my younger years (I’m not sure how well my stomach would take it anymore), but I can tell you that there are some worth street carts out there worth a try when you’re in the mood for cultural cuisine that’s light on your wallet.

My first adventure to a street meat cart didn’t start very far from my office. I figured I’d play it safe and stand in the long line at the Halal cart on the SW corner of 46th and 6th on one of the warmer days we had last week. Several patrons in front of me ordered the $4 lamb pita so I figured I’d give it a try. They asked me if I wanted white sauce. "Sure," I said, not really knowing what that involved (Tahini? Alfredo? Mayo?). I was up for adventure. I took my sandwich to the little "office park" between 45th and 46th and chowed down. I must say, it was a very good roll-up, but my stomach was not very happy later. Maybe it was the white sauce?

This week, a colleague at work told me to try the Kwik Meal on the SW corner of 45th and 6th. So I did. The line was even longer than the other cart and they had enlarged posters of praise articles from the New Yorker, New York Post and TimeOut NY. They even won a Vendy this year (basically like a Dundee for food carts, but not as much of a joke, for all of you "Office" watchers out there). These carts take the Vendy’s very seriously. Anyway, I tried the $4.50 falafel in a pita, hoping that it was the meat and not the flavor that upset my insides last time I tried Street Meat. Again…SO good! Except they loaded up my sandwich with their Greek-ish white sauce (yogurt-based) so by the time I got to the bottom, it was all mush and made a mess, though still very tasty. Even better news, my stomach didn’t revolt!


Next time I think I need to try the “Chicken and Rice” cart that everyone raves about on 53rd and 6th. I’ll let you know how that goes.

If you want more information on Street Meat, I’d recommend checking out this article on Midtown Lunch. There you will also find some great information on actual restaurants in Midtown as well. Happy eating!
Add to Technorati Favorites




Delicious
Bookmark this on Delicious
Stumble It!

No comments:

Add to Technorati Favorites Delicious Bookmark this on Delicious Stumble It!