Wednesday, October 22, 2008

A Helping Penny?

I think the word “help” is used too much. Everywhere I go in this city it seems I’m always being asked to help. No matter the fact that I do take time out of my life to Help (more on that later), all those who keep asking seem to think I can never do enough.

Exhibit A: On the corner by my office building – a corner I walk by at least once each morning, once for lunch and occasionally to go home – an organization dedicated to helping the homeless has set up a table with a red table cloth and an empty five gallon water bottle day after day in the hopes of collecting change for the needy. A noble venture? Yes. I’m sure the ambling tourists just stepping out of the 24 hour McDonald's (also in my office building) with their Big Mac in one hand and quarters in their pockets are sure to donate out of the goodness of their hearts. Actually, it’s probably to get the volunteer/worker/actual homeless guy wearing a red vest matching the tablecloth to shut up.

After years of trying to find innovative ways to get people to donate to my team for the MS (Multiple Sclerosis) Walk, I’ll be the first to admit that you must be charismatic and enthusiastic about the fundraising process to be successful. But as I walked by this table this morning, I heard the word “help” about 10 times in a five second period. That’s quite a lot if you think about it.

“Every penny counts! You can help!” the man in the red vest shouts.

Really? Does every penny count? So if I gave a penny and he got 99 other people in Times Square to give a penny he would have…a whole dollar!!!

Maybe I’m being cynical (see what New York is doing to me), but I’m being made to feel bad for not helping and giving a penny, when, let’s be honest, that penny isn’t going to go very far even in a homeless person’s life. What will you get for a penny in New York? Nothing that I can think of, except maybe a tune in an old juke box in a diner somewhere.

If you are going to raise money, you should at least set your sights a little higher, you know what I mean?

However, if you are new to the city and you really do want to find ways to Help, I’d suggest checking out NY Cares (nycares.org). You’ve probably seen their posters with Whoopi Goldberg and Alec Baldwin all over the subways, but they really are a worthwhile organization. Basically, you go to a 2-hour training after signing up online, and you then join the other 43,000 or so New Yorkers in the system. Every month, new projects are posted online – from dancing at the Jewish home to gardening to serving hot meals – and they are all scheduled to fit busy people’s lives (many after or before regular working hours).

If you want a bit more commitment, you can choose one of their ongoing programs; I’m tutoring the SAT once a week at the Chelsea Recreation center until May. They have projects for everyone.

So if you want to Help, don’t just throw a penny in a bucket somewhere (although, I’ll definitely hit you up come April for the MS Walk), give your time and you’ll see what a difference you can make.




Add to Technorati Favorites




Delicious
Bookmark this on Delicious

Stumble It!

1 comment:

Unknown said...

I totally agree. A penny can't buy anything, if even an old jute box song,... now diners charge like 50 cents, I mean give me a break, 50 cents for a song!? And I've seen the same people on different subways asking for money, what are the chances in a city as large as NYC? It's crazy!

Add to Technorati Favorites Delicious Bookmark this on Delicious Stumble It!