Thursday, October 23, 2008

A Dollar Can Take You Far

I have a knack for finding free or cheap stuff to do almost anywhere I go. I look at this characteristic as more of a benefit (at least the friends I share my wisdom with do) than a downfall. Innovative rather than cheap. Adventurous rather than poor. It all depends on your viewpoint.

Anyways, I was inspired by yesterday’s post about what you can’t do for a penny and share with you what you CAN do for a dollar in New York City:

1) Thanks to the wonderful timeoutny.com (I highly recommend you check out their free events calendar if you haven’t already), I found a cheap eats tour of Chinatown which led me and my boyfriend in a crazy dirt cheap circle around the neighborhood’s eclectic bakeries and food shops. Our first stop was at Prosperity Dumpling (46 Eldridge St.). From the outside, you can hardly tell it apart from the block of other dumpling and bakery storefronts, but once at the door, you can smell why you came there. The small eating area (we’re talking 4’ x 8’ here) is usually crowded with tourists and locals alike all coveting for the pork and chive dumplings ($1 for 5 dumplings).


Customers like them so much that you can even buy frozen dumplings to take home at $8 for 50. Most of their other menu items are under $2 as well, but I’d highly suggest the dumplings.

2) Although this stop was not officially on the tour (what I love about Chinatown), we found a corner cart on the southeast corner of Grand and Bowery selling not hot dogs, not roasted nuts, not even illegal pet turtles, but dough balls. Simple as that, but so much fun.

For $1 you can get a bag of 20 dough balls ready made for you in essentially a waffle maker and diligently counted out like a pharmacist does with pills so you get exactly 20. You can just pop the little balls of warmthy goodness into your mouth as you stroll along to get your boba or dim sum. Think waffles meet popcorn and you’ve essentially got your snack.

3) Speaking of delicious balls of dough, Italian cuisine’s greatest creation besides pizza is the garlic knot. I’ve sampled the knots from the three pizza places closest to my apartment and rated each on texture, flavor and value. I decided the best should go to Ray’s Pizza (2nd Ave. between 94th and 96th, although I’m sure there are others as well) where you can get six healthy size garlic knots for just $1. They even throw in a container of marinara for dipping. I’ve eaten the knots as a side for a meal or even just a meal in itself, whatever your pleasure.

4) Ok, so I know this isn’t a New York only thing, but I’ve got to say when you are in the mood for an afternoon pick me up and cannot afford to spend money or calories on a slice of strawberry cheesecake, head to McDonald’s and buy an apple pie. Make that two for $1.08 (tax included). There are 72 McDonald’s in Manhattan. Chances are there is one by your workplace. Just don’t go overboard with the other greasy food.

5) Lastly, I recently found out about a deal if you are a Bank of America ATM cardholder that I should have found years ago when I opened my account. On the first weekend of every month, several participating museums let you in for free! (Ok, so I know this doesn’t follow my rule for things you can do in NYC for $1, but free is good to, right?). I visited the Metropolitan Museum of Art at the beginning of September and enjoyed the view of Central Park from the roof (they have a martini bar up there!). I have plans to visit the Aquarium and the Bronx Zoo on one of the upcoming weekends (both included in this offer). For a full listing of museums across the country go here.

In the spirit of frugality, I’d like to share an article I came across in the New York Times. He shares a lot of interesting tidbits about making the most of your dollar in New York.

I hope you make use of this post and I’ll be sure to keep an eye out for more innovative things to do in your new (or old) city. Enjoy!



Add to Technorati Favorites




Delicious
Bookmark this on Delicious
Stumble It!

No comments:

Add to Technorati Favorites Delicious Bookmark this on Delicious Stumble It!