Thursday, November 20, 2008

Plugging in to Advertising

New York City is like the Mecca of advertising. I cannot think of a single place in the world where you would be surrounded by more billboards, neon signs, placards, postcards, banners, commercials, signs, posters, brochures – I could go on.

Walking through Times Square, I am often in awe of the millions and billions of dollars in advertising expenditures surround me with every step. I don’t know who brokers that space, but they must be making a pretty penny. After all, what would Times Square be with out all the ads? But even with all the lights and the glitz, I can’t help but wonder: does there come a point when your surroundings are so saturated with advertising that none of them end up having their proper effect?

I’ve always said that advertising doesn’t affect me like it does most people. I will definitely admit that I love the gecko commercials for Geico and I’m quick to point out the recent upsurge of Vitamin Water product placement in “Gossip Girl,” but I’m not about to call up for some car insurance or buy a leader of Dragonfruit (although that is my favorite flavor).

However, despite my ability to distinguish advertising from entertainment, I was extremely intrigued by a subway ad today. You’ve seen them – posters lining the walls of every single meticulously tiled subway stop; some for Broadway shows, some for Spanish speaking lawyers and many for [name your favorite TV show]. But today I saw a new take on the traditional subway ad.

Out of the corner of my eye, I see Christina Aguilera’s large spider-mascara-ed eyes flirting with me to buy her new album. (I didn’t even know she was making another comeback, although I did fancy her last one). But poster after same poster of Ms. Aguilera’s peepers, I see a man with his headphones plugged into her. Wha..wha..what? How could this be? Headphones into the wall?

Remember when we used to buy CD’s and before you knew what was on the CD – because you only knew the two singles on the radio and had no clue what downloading music off the Internet was – you would use the headphones on the wall in Virgin Records or Best Buy or those other places you used to buy CD’s? Well, this ad worked just like that except instead of targeting people browsing a music store looking for CD’s, it targeted anyone with extra time – namely subway riders, almost all of whom already have headphones in their ears.

I think this is ingenious! What a way to make an ad so interactive and have a captive audience at the same time! I’m not advocating that the new album is any good or that everyone should love Christina Aguilera, but if I were a recording artist, I would want her marketing manager on my case.

Leave it to NYC to create the latest and greatest advertising trends, but this is a keeper. I expect to see more of these ads around town, and who knows? Maybe you’ll find me plugged into one.

Add to Technorati Favorites




Delicious
Bookmark this on Delicious
Stumble It!

No comments:

Add to Technorati Favorites Delicious Bookmark this on Delicious Stumble It!