Wednesday, January 14, 2009

The Best Way to Travel to Travel?

So I'm leaving New York tomorrow for the first time since I moved here (well, if you don't count trips to Long Island leaving New York). It's kind of a big deal. I've been so absorbed in the riches and rigors of the city that the thought of leaving is a little disheartening. If I'm at the center of the universe, what could happen when I leave?

Then I think, well, it's only 5 days. I think Manhattan will go on without me. Surely I will go on without it as I am traveling tomorrow morning from JFK to the mile-high city of Denver, CO where the weather is said to be warmer than the balmy negative digits New Yorkers are sure to experience this weekend. But what I am most looking forward to is the presence of oxygenated air. Sure the atmosphere is thinner, but I guarantee that the proportion of O2 is still greater there than it is here with all the taxi fumes and cigarette smoke. Oh, New York.

But back on topic, I am somewhat puzzled at the matter of how a girl gets to the airport in this city. Bus? Cab? Walk? Train? Blimp? Tram? Space Shuttle? For someone who has gotten used to rapid public transit, I am dumbfounded as to how to make my way to a place further than a 20 minute subway ride away.

Looking at MTA map, I can take the subway to Penn Station, take the LIRR to Jamaica where I can then get on the AirTrain Bus...too many modes of transportation for me. I could also take the subway to Port Authority and pay $18 to get on a bus to JFK - definitely a cheaper option which cuts out some time.

Then again, my flight leaves at 8:30, the wind chill tomorrow is said to be at around 1* and it's going to be snowing. Maybe I'll just make it easy on myself and hop on a cab. Next time I'll be more adventurous.

Any tips for next time would be much appreciated.

1 comment:

Jeff Rigby said...

For speed LIRR is your best bet by far. However, I generally take the E or the A to the Airtran. It takes about an hour but it's reliable and cheap. $5 if you already have an unlimited metrocard, $7 otherwise.

You could always take the Helicopter from 34th or downtown! http://www.flyushelicopter.com/

Add to Technorati Favorites Delicious Bookmark this on Delicious Stumble It!